Monday, September 13, 2010

What is Patriot Day?

Stars, they were everywhere.  I’m not just talking about the kinds that twinkle in the night.  There were those too, lots of those.  I’m talking stars as in 4 star general, a 5 star hotel, blue star moms, stars and stripes, and Hollywood stars.  Appropriate?  Yes. 

I can’t believe I’m saying this but up until 1 ½ years ago, if you’d asked me on a random day what day Patriot Day was, I would have to think through all the days of the year and probably deduce and ask questioningly, “9/11?”  I think about it often and always take a silent moment to remember the day and its events but didn’t know that in 2002 Bush had designated the day as such.  I do now though.  After this weekend’s events, I will never ever forget it. 

My journey to the balcony of this beautiful 5 star Fairmont Princess Resort in Phoenix started in April of 2009 when I joined the Flagship Freedom mission with American Airlines, People to People International, Operation Iraqi Children and many more.  Without writing a short novel, that trip changed me and I look forward to the weekends when I get the chance to meet back up with any of the people on that trip.  This was one of them.   

If you’ve never been to a Patriot Day Celebration, you must go.  Be warned, you will cry. I even saw a huge muscled Green Beret get teary so don’t think it won’t happen to you.  There were so many wonderful moments in the day.  It started like this and I don’t care what side of the political spectrum you’re on, it’s always cool to meet someone who ran for President.  I got the chance to meet Sen. John McCain.  The speech was nothing unforgettable but certainly set the mood for the day as something a little more than ordinary. 

There were over 3000 blankets collected for Afghan families.  That is spearheaded by a retired four star general and his wife.  When I saw the overwhelming support from the community, I got the first knot in my throat.  People donated Crocs shoes to families at Luke AFB and to Afghan children.  An Apache and a Blackhawk helicopter landed in the streets.  Gary Sinise made an appearance though only through a recorded video.  I had the face paint artist paint me an American flag on my arm so you could see it on stage.  I met a blue star mom who has four children serving in the military.  She looked worn.  As she stood there teary, I let a few fall too as she thanked me for being there.  I heard the story of a man who spoke about losing his brother who was a NYC fireman and his best friend who worked in one of the towers on that fateful day.  The part I will never forget was when he talked about the subway.  The doors opened near the site and not a soul was to be seen in the normally frenzied metro stop and there was a foot of ash like it had just snowed.  I had to sing right after he was talking but between Phil Vandel and myself, I think we did a pretty good job of getting people back in a fun mood. 

Though I cried multiple times, I felt pride.  No matter where you stand on the issue, the events of the day happened.  There were some protestors with signs about it being an inside job.  The thing about it is, people still died and we were there to remember them and they were kindly asked to leave. 

My sister in law was with me over the weekend.  She made a point that I must share because it’s exactly how I feel.  For years, I have taken a moment of silence.  I remember where I was.  I remember that I thought I was watching a Tom Clancy film.  I remember that I worried about all my friends in NYC.  I remember that I ran upstairs to wake up my roommate who was in the reserves.  I remember the fallen.  It has always been a painful day, a dark shadow that won’t go away but this weekend changed everything.  There is no doubt, I cried. I cried a lot but I saw that side of us, that side of the American people that made me proud that day and in the days following.  I saw hope and support.  Sept. 11 doesn’t have to be an ugly gash that we strive to hide with makeup.  It can be a part of us, a character mark that does not define us but reminds us to be who we all wanted to be on that day. 

1 comment:

  1. After much review, I must mention the person that made all of this happen, David Haddad with Fumar Cigars. He was the brainchild and the only reason I was at the event. You can even still donate a cigar or two to the troops...www.fumarcigarsusa.com/

    ReplyDelete